Friday, December 2, 2016

California condor and a spotted owl

It’s Friday…

A forest ranger sees a campfire burning in a no-camping area and goes to investigate. To his horror, he sees a man sitting by the fire, eating a bald eagle, roasted on an open spit. The ranger arrests him on the spot.

At the trial, the judge asks, "Do you know that eating a bald eagle is a federal offense?"

The defendant replies, "I do, your honor. But there are extenuating circumstances! Please let me explain myself."

The judge decides to allow it and the defendant launches into his tale of woe: "Well, you see, I got lost and I was wandering in circles for two weeks. I ran out of all the food I packed, and was so hungry. Next thing I see is a giant bird swooping down at the lake for some fish. I was hoping I could steal some fish from the eagle so I followed it down to the lake. So then I was trying to scare the eagle into dropping the fish, so I threw a rock at it. Unfortunately, my aim was off, and the rock hit the eagle right between the eyes, and he dropped dead. Well, you know, then I thought long and hard about what had happened, but figured that since it was dead already, I might as well eat it as it would be a shame for it to have died in vain."

The judge is moved by this harrowing account, and decides to dismiss all the charges. Before he adjourns the court, he leans across the bench and whispers, "If you don't mind my asking, what does a bald eagle taste like?"

The defendant, now a free man, replies: "Well, your honor, the flavor is basically a cross between a california condor and a spotted owl."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

Harlan Ellison