Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Larry the Lobster & voodoo lobster economics

I asked Kimberley Shears, the company's director of logistics, whether eating Larry [the lobster] was cruel. Admittedly we were enjoying a delicious lunch of cold lobster tails in Tangier's shoreside gazebo at the time, not the most sensitive choice of nourishment, considering the subject at hand. Ms. Shears bestowed a kind look on me, and said, "They technically don't have a brain." No, I thought: They have two penises instead, I guess it's a trade-off.

I watched Larry go into the pot. I waved goodbye. I am somewhat ashamed to say I felt no pang. Like, none. But by my count, at least 30 people helped Larry to his demise. I am willing to name names if it helps my moral case.

Ian Brown
Travels with Larry (Globe & Mail)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

Harlan Ellison